Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., the leader of the civil right movement, was an iconic figure, and we will always remember him. He left the legacy, which has changed the lives of millions of Americans — and we’re not only talking about his actions, decisions and the civil rights he always protected.
We are also talking about his writings, sermons and speeches — they’ve been inspiring for all the African American women and men for dozens of years, and we know they’ll continue to inspire you in the future.
Here we’ve gathered quite a few fantastic quotes of this great black leader. We’ve found the most meaningful quotes about humanity, civil rights, discrimination, tolerance — about everything, basically. About music even!
You can check them out right here. Whether you are looking for motivational, inspirational or persuasive quotes, you can be sure that you’ll find everything you need here. And even more!
Wise Martin Luther quotes about justice and injustice
Injustice was historically a problem for the United States. Martin Luther King Jr. has written a lot of wise speeches related to social justice and humanity — and here you’ll find the best MLK quotes about justice and injustice. Don’t waste your time and check them out right now!
- No, no, we are not satisfied, and we will not be satisfied until justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream
- Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
- It is not possible to be in favor of justice for some people and not be in favor of justice for all people.
- The moral arc of the universe bends at the elbow of justice.
- Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.
- The hope of a secure and livable world lies with disciplined nonconformists who are dedicated to justice, peace and brotherhood.
- Peace is more important than all justice; and peace was not made for the sake of justice, but justice for the sake of peace.
- A man dies when he refuses to stand up for justice.
- In your struggle for justice, let your oppressor know that you are not attempting to defeat or humiliate him, or even to pay him back for injustices that he has heaped upon you. Let him know that you are merely seeking justice for him as well as yourself.
- Segregation is a blatant denial of the unity which we all have in Christ Jesus.
Dr Martin Luther King Jr. quotes on equality
MLK fought for equality, you know that. It’s one of the most important fights he won, despite the opposition represented by lots of people, like politicals, white moderates and evangelical leaders.
He won this fight, and the words were his weapons (metaphorically, of course, because nonviolence resistance was the only resistance for him) — and here we’ve gathered the best of these weapons. Take a look at these amazing and inspiring quotes of Dr Martin Luther King Jr. on equality, respect and differences — we believe that you won’t remain indifferent.
- One day this nation will rise up, live out the true meaning of its creed…that all men are created equal.
- A dream of equality of opportunity, of privilege and property, widely distributed; a dream of a land where men will not take necessities from the many to give luxuries to the few
- We may all have come from different ships, but we’re in the same boat now.
- The sweltering summer of the Negro’s legitimate discontent will not pass until there is an invigorating autumn of freedom and equality.
- We must have our freedom now. We must have the right to vote. We must have equal protection of the law.
- We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.
- Equality means dignity. And dignity demands a job and a paycheck that lasts through the week.
- We have flown the air like birds and swum the sea like fishes, but have yet to learn the simple act of walking the earth like brothers.
- I have a dream that one day right there in Alabama little black boys and little black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.
- Segregation…not only harms one physically but injures one spiritually…It scars the soul…It is a system that forever stares the segregated in the face, saying ‘You are less than…”You are not equal to”.
Inspirational MLK quotes on leadership
Yes, Martin Luther King wrote lots of powerful words about freedom, unity and courage. But first of all, he was the leader. One of the greatest American leaders, to be exact. Here you’ll find 10 best inspirational quotes of MLK about leadership — and believe me, this man knew everything about it.
- A genuine leader is not a searcher for consensus but a molder of consensus.
- Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.
- If a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn’t fit to live.
- The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times of challenge and controversy.
- Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.
- There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.
- Ten thousand fools proclaim themselves into obscurity, while one wise man forgets himself into immortality.
- If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.
- Whatever your life’s work is, do it well. A man should do his job so well that the living, the dead, and the unborn could do it no better.
- If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way.
Martin Luther King quotes from “I Have A Dream” speech
“I have a dream” is one of the most famous speeches in the world’s history, and definitely the most famous speech of Martin Luther King. It was an extremely strong speech for equality and against racism — and it made MLK a man, who (and we are very comfortable to say it) is as important for the modern United States as Lincoln. Check out the best quotes from this speech right here!
- Now is the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice.
- I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.
- Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
- We cannot walk alone. And as we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall always march ahead. We cannot turn back.
- The whirlwinds of revolt will continue to shake the foundations of our nation until the bright day of justice emerges.
- I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
- America has given the Negro people a bad check, a check which has come back marked ‘insufficient funds.’
- Freedom is never voluntarily granted by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed
- There are those who are asking the devotees of civil rights, ‘When will you be satisfied?’ We can never be satisfied as long as the Negro is the victim of the unspeakable horrors of police brutality.
- Creative power can pull down mountains of evil and level hilltops of injustice.
The best MLK Jr quotes on education
King’s main idea was, when we’re talking about education, that the students had to learn how to think by themselves and how to ignore propaganda. Logic, critical and intense thinking, intelligence — Martin Luther King believed that these are the three pillars of education. Read the quotes below and you’ll know what MLK wrote and said about it!
- Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think.
- Education must enable one to sift and weigh evidence, to discern the true from the false, the real from the unreal, and the facts from the fiction.
- Intelligence plus character— that is the goal of true education.
- To save man from the morass of propaganda, in my opinion, is one of the chief aims of education.
- Knowledge is a process of piling up facts; wisdom lies in its simplification.
- Education must enable a man to become more efficient, to achieve with increasing facility the legitimate goals of his life.
- A great majority of the so-called educated people do not think logically and scientifically. Even the press, the classroom, the platform, and the pulpit in many instances do not give us objective and unbiased truths.
- Education that stops with efficiency may prove the greatest menace to society. The most dangerous criminal may be the man gifted with reason, but with no morals.
- The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically.
- A complete education gives one not only power of concentration, but worthy objectives upon which to concentrate.
Most famous quotations on love by Martin Luther King Jr
Are you looking for some good MLK quotes to get ready for Service Day? Do you want to know what he thought about love? Or, maybe, you just want to read some inspirational quotes?
In all these cases, you’ve come to the right place, because here you’ll find ten most famous Martin Luther King Jr quotations on love and humanity!
- Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
- There’s something about love that builds up and is creative. There is something about hate that tears down and is destructive. So love your enemies.
- I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right temporarily defeated is stronger than evil triumphant.
- Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend.
- Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic. Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice, and justice at its best is power correcting everything that stands against love.
- I have decided to stick to love…Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Everybody can be great…because anybody can serve. You don’t have to have a college degree to serve. You don’t have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.
- At the center of non-violence stands the principle of love.
- There can be no deep disappointment where there is not deep love.
- When I speak of love, I am speaking of that force that all the great religions have seen as the supreme unifying principle of life.
Motivational Martin Luther King Jr day quotes
His words had an impact on the whole world, so they’ll definitely motivate you. Check out the strongest motivational Martin Luther King Jr day quotes and you’ll certainly get inspired!
- Only in the darkness can you see the stars.
- Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?
- Courage is the power of the mind to overcome fear.
- The time is always right to do the right thing.
- Lightning makes no sound until it strikes.
- You will change your mind; You will change your looks; You will change your smile, laugh, and ways but no matter what you change, you will always be you.
- We must accept finite disappointment but never lose infinite hope.
- Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom. A man can’t ride you unless your back is bent.
- You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.
- The Blues tell the story of life’s difficulties, and if you think for a moment, you will realize that they take the hardest realities of life and put them into music, only to come out with some new hope or sense of triumph.
You may also like: