The bond. The one between a father and a son goes way beyond genes and DNA. Dad is his son’s hero. A supporter, friend, and mentor. No other man comes close to his dad. Fatherhood goes far beyond the role of provider. Dad must be engaged and attentive to the needs of his children, especially his son.
“When fathers are actively involved with their children, children do better,” explains Paul Amato, a sociologist at Pennsylvania State University. (1) The “Father Effect” of dad’s presence is generally positive. It’s about the quality time he gives to his children that matters. “…the quality of time is more important than the quantity of time,” says Amato.
It’s a great trend that today’s dads generally want to be more involved. The earlier involvement begins, the better. Dads who live with their kids and are able to interact with them at any time and any day are far more likely to have a positive impact on their children.
And Our Expert Says…
Here’s to glorious Dads! Those ordinary men who are heroes in the eyes of their sons!
- As we know, any man can be a father. It takes a whole lot more to actively, positively be a Dad: a man who commits his time, energy and love to raising a boy to become a good man.
- Pulling the words together to say what you want when you want to honor your father can be tricky, particularly if you’re not used expressing yourself that way. And it’s doubly hard when it’s necessary because that special man has died.
- That’s where collections of father and son quotations like these really help. Read them through. Open up a swipe file and put any that speak to you into it. Use them to trigger your own thoughts and memories; the things you want to write and incorporate one or two of them in that if you wish.
- If it would help: read an example eulogy (funeral speech) from a son to his much loved father.
“Writing letters, phone calls — even if you’re not in physical proximity, knowing your dad cares and wants to be involved to the extent that they can is really important,” Marcy Carlson, a sociologist at the University of Wisconsin says about dads who are not living at home.
A strong bond is crucial for a son to grow up into a man who can deal effectively with life’s daily struggles. Researchers refer to this as the “Power of Dad.” Fathers who are able to establish a good connection with their son early — perhaps through rough-and-tumble play during childhood — greatly improved the young man’s problem-solving skills. (2)
A good relationship is paramount to his son who will too-soon grow up to be a man and a father to his own children.
Good Father and Son Quotes
Dad would see himself as a true hero, supporter, and teacher if he could look through his son’s eyes. Here are some father to son sayings you can use:
- Dads are most ordinary men turned by love into heroes, adventurers, story-tellers, and singers of song.
- A father is a man who expects his son to be as good a man as he meant to be.
- No love is greater than that of a father for His son.
- It’s not flesh and blood but the heart which makes us fathers and sons.
- What goes on between a father and a son, which is usually such a private matter, is that they are able to be honest with each other, and be honest with me, as a director. It’s just remarkable.
- I think a father is someone, Who loves unconditionally, There is no perfect formula, to who a father can be.
- A man never stands as tall as when he kneels to help a child.
- Listen, there is no way any true man is going to let children live around him in his home and not discipline and teach, fight and mold them until they know all he knows. His goal is to make them better than he is. Being their friend is a distant second to this. – Victor Devlin
- Some day you will know that a father is much happier in his children’s happiness than in his own. I cannot explain it to you: it is a feeling in your body that spreads gladness through you. –Honore de Balzac
- An almost perfect relationship with his father was the earthly root of all his wisdom. – C.S. Lewis
Dad and Son Quotes
A father and son is not simply a parent and a child. It’s far more. Their kind of bond never can be broken. Here are more father-son quotes:
- It’s a father’s duty to give his sons a fine chance.
- When my father didn’t have my hand, he had my back.
- It was my father who taught me to value myself. He told me that I was uncommonly beautiful and that I was the most precious thing in his life.
- A father’s need to be right. A son’s need to be independent. A father’s acceptance of his son as a man can be as difficult as a son’s acceptance that his father is just a man. A father’s need to be mentor. A son’s need to be thought of as an equal. All these things make it difficult for fathers and sons to really get past their role expectations and really get to know each other and accept each other as they really are.
- You don’t raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they’ll turn out to be heroes, even if it’s just in your own eyes
- What a father means to his son growing up, will become what a son means to his father growing old.
- He adopted a role called being a father so that his child would have something mythical and infinitely important: a protector. – Tom Wolfe
- Not every father gets a chance to start his son off in his own footsteps. – Alan Ladd
- Any man can be a father. It takes someone special to be a dad.
- My dad is my best friend, my father, and my boss. When I do something that is exciting and he likes it, it feels three times as good as you can imagine.
Father Son Inspirational Quotes
Being a parent is hard work. Dads can use something inspirational, too. Like one of these quotes:
- Every father should remember that his son will follow his example instead of his advice.
- Being a father has been, without a doubt, my greatest source of achievement, pride and inspiration. Fatherhood has taught me about unconditional love, reinforced the importance of giving back and taught me how to be a better person.
- A child looks up at the stars and wonders. Great fathers put a child on his shoulders and help them to grab a star.
- Fathers are not born. Men grow into fathers – and fathering is a very important stage in their development.
- Don’t wait to make your son a great man – make him a great boy.
- Behind every young child who believes in himself is a parent who believed first.
- Every father should remember that one day his son will follow his example instead of his advice. – Charles F Kettering
- Sons and fathers have their own little universe of trust, privacy and love, thus creating one of the strongest bonds that ever existed.
- The quality of a father can be seen in the goals, dreams and aspirations he sets not only for himself, but for his family. – Reed Markham
- It is a wise father that knows his own child.
Like Father Like Son Quotes
The oft-used phrase “like father like son” explains a great deal. Fatherhood is about being a good example. Here are some meaningful quotes to use:
- My father didn’t tell me how to live. He lived and let me watch him do it.
- Like father, like son: every good tree makes good fruits.
- A father is neither an anchor to hold us back nor a sail to take us there, but a guiding light whose love shows us the way.
- A father is someone you look up to no matter how tall you grown.
- A man knows when he is growing old because he begins to look like his father.
- Women shouldn’t marry a man unless they would be proud to have a son just like him.
- New dads aren’t aware that infants are both blessings and black holes that drain sleep, time and passion. – Brick Scorn
- Fathering is not something perfect men do, but something that perfects the man. –Frank Pittman
- A dad can raise a son, but it takes a true father to make his son into a good man.
- Daddies don’t just love their children every now and then, it’s a love without end. – George Strait
Cute Daddy and Son Quotes
There’s something very nice about a father looking at his son with obvious love on his face. The sayings below tell us a bit about what makes this relationship so special:
- It was my father who taught me to value myself. He told me that I was uncommonly beautiful and that I was the most precious thing in his life
- Dad – he can play like a kid, give advice like a friend, and protect like a bodyguard.
- A dad is someone who holds you when you cry, scolds you when you break the rules, shines with pride when you succeed, & has faith in you even when you fail…
- To a father growing old nothing is dearer than a son.
- My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, he believed in me.
- Good fathers make good sons.
- A good father believes that he does wisely to encourage enterprise, productive skill, prudent self-denial, and judicious expenditure on the part of his son. – William Graham Sumner
- It’s a rare thing when a father and son can share the same experience. My father and I have seen all 19 Bond films together, two or three times.
- Becoming a dad is one thing – being a dad is many things. – Steve Chapman
- Like so much between fathers and sons, playing catch was tender and tense at the same time. –Donald Hall
Father Son Relationship Quotes
A son’s relationship with his dad is really special. They play, they joke, and they give us some of the best memories in our lives. Here are some quotes about you and your dad:
- One is worthy as a son when he removes all his father’s troubles.
- If the relationship of father to son could really be reduced to biology, the whole earth would blaze with the glory of fathers and sons.
- One night a father overheard his son pray: Dear God, make me the kind of man my daddy is. Later that night, the Father prayed, Dear God, make me the kind of man my son wants me to be.
- Any man can be a father but it takes someone special to be a dad.
- I believe that what we become depends on what our fathers teach us at odd moments, when they aren’t trying to teach us. We are formed by the little scraps of wisdom.
- Perhaps host and guest is really the happiest relation for father and son.
- By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he’s wrong.
- Giving your son a skill is better than giving him one thousand pieces of gold.
- When you teach your son, you teach your son’s son. – The Talmud
- It’s only when you grow up and step back from him—or leave him for your own home—it’s only then that you can measure his greatness and fully appreciate it. – Margaret Truman
Father and Son Bond Quotes
Sometimes boys don’t hear those important words from their father often enough. Here are some thoughts about the special bond:
- A dad is a son’s first hero.
- It’s hard to kill that… father-son bond.
- I am not ashamed to say that no man I ever met was my father’s equal, and I never loved any other man as much.
- To be a father requires patience, love and giving up the ‘all about me’ attitude.
- There is no any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father’s protection.
- One father is more than a hundred schoolmasters.
- The father who does not teach his son his duties is equally guilty with the son who neglects them. – Confucius
- A father will always have his son’s love and respect if he knows how to love and protect his family!
- Every son quotes his father, in words and in deeds. – Terri Guillemets
- It is not flesh and blood but the heart which makes us fathers and sons.
Father and Son Moments Sayings
Boys have a lot of things they only can say to their father. Dads, in turn, can be themselves, telling sons some things they can’t tell their daughters. The quotes below are about this unique relationship:
- Fathers and sons are much more considerate of one another than mothers and daughters.
- Son needs his father at every situation he faces in present and father needs his son at every situation he faces for his son in past.
- A son is not a judge of his father, but the conscience of the father is in his son.
- When a father gives to his son, both laugh; when a son gives to his father, both cry.
- Peace is the beauty of life. It is sunshine. It is the smile of a child, the love of a mother, the joy of a father, the togetherness of a family. It is the advancement of man, the victory of a just cause, the triumph of truth.
- Sons have always a rebellious wish to be disillusioned by that which charmed their fathers. – Aldous Huxley
- When my father didn’t have my hand, he had my back.
- A wise son listens to his father’s advice and grows up to be a better man than his father.
- Being a father means you have to think fast on your feet. You must be judicious, wise, brave, tender, and willing to put on a frilly hat and sit down to a pretend tea party. – Matthew Buckley
- A good father is one of the most unsung, unpraised, unnoticed, and yet one of the most valuable assets in our society. – Billy Graham
Short Father’s Love for His Son
Here are some relatively short quotes a father can use with his son to show his love:
- My son has made me laugh, made me proud, made me cry, seen me cry, hugged me tight, seen me fail, cheered me up, kept me on my toes, and at times driven me crazy, But my Son is a promise that I will have a friend FOREVER!
- Fatherhood changes you completely. If things didn’t go my way before, I became withdrawn and didn’t want to see or listen to anyone. Now, when I arrive home, I see my son and everything is OK. He’s the most important thing to me now.
- Until you have a son of your own… you will never know the joy, the love beyond feeling that resonates in the heart of a father as he looks upon his son. But now, being a parent, I go home and see my son and I forget about any mistake I ever made or the reason I’m upset. I get home and my son is smiling or he comes running to me. It has just made me grow as an individual and grow as a man.
- I never saw my dad cry. My son saw me cry. My dad never told me he loved me, and consequently I told Scott I loved him every other minute. The point is, I’ll make less mistakes than my dad, my sons hopefully will make less mistakes than me, and their sons will make less mistakes than their dads. And one of these days, maybe we’ll raise a perfect Caan.
- My son’s the most precious thing to me; he’s changed me from being selfish to selfless.
- What was silent in the father speaks in the son, and often I found in the son the unveiled secret of the father.
- With sons and fathers, there’s an inexplicable connection and imprint that your father leaves on you. – Brad Pitt
- Sons always identify fathers as their greatest heroes, while fathers always look at sons as their biggest accomplishment.
- Of all the titles I’ve been privileged to have, ‘Dad’ has always been the best. – Ken Norton
- Sometimes life can be tough but always remember: so are you, son.
Father’s Day Quotes from Son
Dad wants – no, he needs – to hear good words from his son on Father’s Day. These quotes will inspire you. Personalize them and add some details:
- I hope and pray that I will be as good as a Dad as you have been.
- Some people don’t believe in heroes, but they haven’t met my dad.
- Thank you for giving me a firm foundation guidance and love. But most of all, thank you for teaching me how to spread my own two arms and fly.
- Dad you taught me the love of a father. In your arms I was always safe. You taught me selflessness. To you I am forever grateful. I love you dad.
- Dad, Thank you for teaching me how to ride a bike. Thank you for cheering me on at graduation . Thank you for loving me.
- The heart of a father is the masterpiece of nature. – Antoine Francois Prevost
- To the world, you may just be our dad. To us, you are our world.
- Being a father is the most rewarding thing a man whose career has plateaued can do. – Aristotle
- Life doesn’t come with an instruction book — that’s why we have fathers. – H. Jackson Browne
- Dad, you’re someone to look up to no matter how tall I’ve grown.
Father and Son Images
1. Krisch, J. A. (2018, December 27). Scientists Finally Know What Dads Do for Their Kids. Fatherly. https://www.fatherly.com/health-science/science-benefits-of-fatherhood-dads-father-effect/
2. Novotney, A. (2010). The power of Dad. American Psychological Association. https://www.apa.org/monitor/2010/10/dad