Do you believe in love at first sight—or should I walk by again?
A pick-up line is supposed to accomplish these two “I’s” (1): intrigue and initiate. It should catch the interest of the man you’re interested in and the interest is reciprocated. That will lead to a further conversation.
What works? What doesn’t?
Pick-up lines do work. Just not always. The ones that highlight a man’s athleticism, culture, wealth, and generosity were most likely successful in leading to further conversation says one study. That’s opposed to the ones that contained empty compliments or were overtly sexual. (2)
What about women? Do they work too? An online experiment tested three forms of pick-up lines that women use: direct (e.g., “Can I have your number?”, “You’re cute.”), flippant (e.g., “Since you’re alone and I’m alone, why don’t we sit together?”, “I’m easy, are you?”), and innocuous (e.g., “Where did you get that tattoo? Did it hurt?”, “Hi.”). It was conducted by Maryanne Fisher of Saint Mary’s University in Halifax, Canada.
The results revealed the most successful approach is being direct. Innocuous lines were the least preferred. Men considered all forms of pick-up lines as effective coming from women they perceived as attractive. The results changed for women seen as less attractive. Flippant pick-up lines appeared to work best. (3)
And Our Expert Says…
Best Pick Up Lines to Use on Guys That Will Surely Bear The Desired Results
PRINCIPLE ONE: VISIBILITY
If he doesn’t visibly see you, you prevent him from having the chance to start the conversation.
- Don’t just run over to your friend when you walk into a party.
- Don’t hide behind a newspaper.
- It means if he looks at you, return his gaze and smile.
- When you enter a room, walk around it.
- When you’re at a bar, turn your bar stool at an angle to face out.
PRINCIPLE TWO: PROXIMITY
A lot of men don’t think they can approach you; their biggest fear is rejection.
MITIGATE his fear of rejection by just moving closer to him.
PRINCIPLE THREE: BREAK THE ICE
- Ask him a question
nice and safe, but not all that sexy
- Make an observation
usually very slick but requires some thought
- Be direct.
high risk, high reward as pick up artists would say asking him a question
- Make it playful to ensure he understands you’re not just making a logical request of him
i.e. instead of ‘Do you mind if I take this seat?’, you want to say. ‘Do you mind if I steal this seat?’
- Add in your personal opinion on the subject so that you give him a clear springboard to continue the interaction.
i.e. instead of ‘can you pass me the menu?’, you want to say, ‘can you pass me the menu please? I like to look although I always end up ordering a G&T.’ asking him a question
Use this deceptively simple phrases
- ‘Excuse me, I just had to say, I like how…’
- ‘I like how…’ a conversation starter that is pretty ‘safe’ and also pretty ‘sexy’. You choose the scale you want to work in.
- comment on something eternal that you both observe:
- “I like how we’re the first people to arrive.”
- “I like how busy it is in here, we’re never going to get to the bar.”
- direct the observation towards him:
- “I like how everyone else has abided by the dress code… except us.”
- “I like how you’re secretly pushing in at the bar.”
- “I like how you’re reading a real book.”
JUST SAY: “HELLO”
There’s an irony that as I write this, the most ‘out there’, exciting way to start an interaction is just to say ‘hello’…. or probably ‘hey (sexy pause)…’
- Why this is so controversial (and compelling) is as follows:
- It requires exceptionally good non-verbal signals to communicate attraction.
- There’s no getting away from your intent. You are flirting with him. You are being direct. You have just flipped the script.
- There’s no clear route into a conversation. High risk, high reward.
How to come up with an effective pick-up line?
Context. It’s an important key to a pick-up line that works. Many pick-up lines don’t work because they are based on someone’s looks. That can come across as offensive. (1)
Trying too much to be funny also can be a huge turn-off. Worried about it? Try other conversation starters, like if you’re at a friend’s party, ask how he knows the host or what he has been up to lately. Improvise. Look around for inspiration.
What to do when your pick-up line works?
- Be genuine. Never lie about yourself. Don’t exaggerate. Pay attention to what he says. Listen to get hints on how to move the conversation along. (1)
- Excuse yourself with utmost respect if the person you’re talking to starts feeling uncomfortable.
What to do when your pick-up line didn’t work?
Don’t take rejection personally and always be respectful. Always.
Funny Pick Up Lines for Girls to Use on Guys
A cool way to start the relationship is with a laugh. Try one of our funny pick-up lines on him:
- Hey, I’ve got to tell you something — ABCDEFG! I can’t stop myself, because you’re just my type!
- Have you ever been to the Dali Museum? Cause you’re truly a work of art.
- Are you from Mars? Because I feel like my heart has been abducted!
- Do you believe in love at first sight—or should I walk by again?
- Give me your name so I know what to scream tonight.
- Are you religious? Because you’re the answer to all my prayers.
- Your eyes are bluer than the Atlantic ocean. And I don’t mind being lost at sea!
- Is there an airport nearby, or was that just my heart taking off?
- Aside from being drop-dead gorgeous, what do you do for a living?
- If you were a chicken, you’d be impeccable.
Sexy Pick Up Lines to Say to Guys
Sometimes sexy pick-up lines can be a perfect choice to let him know you are looking for an intimate relationship. Here are some lines to use:
- I’m definitely going to need a shower because I want you to be my dirty little secret.
- Is it hot in here, or is it just us?
- Your lips look lonely. Let me introduce them to mine.
- You’re so sweet, you’re giving me a toothache.
- You don’t need keys to drive me crazy.
- You’re definitely on my to-do list tonight.
- I lost my teddy bear. Can I sleep with you tonight?
- I’m going to give you a kiss. If you don’t like it, just return it.
- Let’s save water by taking a shower together.
- Do you play soccer? Because you’re a keeper!!
Flirty Pick Up Lines for Men
Flirty lines can be highly effective in getting a man interested:
- You can kiss me if I’m wrong. But the earth is flat, right?
- Are you a camera? Because every time I look at you, I smile.
- Aside from being sexy what do you do for a living?
- Can I borrow a kiss? I swear I’ll give it back.
- Life without you is like a broken pencil…pointless.
- You look so familiar… didn’t we take a class together? I could’ve sworn we had chemistry.
- Four plus four equals eight, but you plus me equals fate.
- When was the last time you kissed a girl?
- Kiss me if I’m wrong, but dinosaurs do still exist, don’t they?
- Was your dad a boxer? Because you’re a knockout!
Hilarious Pick Up Lines to Use on Guys
Don’t be too serious or boring. Check out this list:
- Have you been to the doctor’s lately? Cause I think you’re lacking some vitamin me.
- I’m not drunk, I’m just intoxicated by YOU.
You must be a broom, ‘cause you just swept me off my feet.
- I don’t have a library card, but do you mind if I check you out?
- Is your mom a drug dealer? Cause you’re so Dope!
- If you were a burger at McDonald’s, you’d be named the McGorgeous!
- Are you a 45-degree angle? Because you’re a cutie!
- Want a raisin? No? Well, how about a date?
- Do you have a bandage? I scraped my knee as I fell for you.
- If you were a steak you would be well done.
Corny Pick Up Lines for Him
Corny pick-up lines for him shouldn’t be underestimated. You can drive me crazy and you don’t need any keys!
- Hi, there! Do you like English Breakfast? Because you look like you would. You’re a hot-tea!
- You’re hotter than my car when it overheats in the summer.
- Are you feeling a little down? I can help feel you up.
- If I’m vinegar, then you must be baking soda. Because you make me feel all bubbly inside!
- Your body is a wonderland and I want to be Alice.
- Are you a fireman? Because you came in hot and left me wet.
- You are like my favorite cup of coffee, hot and lip smacking!
- Are you a football player? Because I’d like you touchdown there!
- Damn, if being sexy was a crime, you’d be guilty as charged!
Cheesy Pick Up Lines for Guys
Here are some cheesy pick-up lines that are great conversation starters:
- Excuse me, but I think I dropped something. MY JAW!
- Do you like Star Wars? Because Yoda only one for me!
- I don’t need Twitter, I’m already following you.
- So, tell me: how does it feel to look so great?
- I can read your palm. Your heart line says that you will call me soon.
- Do you think these are real?
- I must be a snowflake, because I’ve fallen for you.
- Hello, I’m a thief, and I’m here to steal your heart.
- I’m new in town. Could you give me directions to your apartment?
- Do your legs hurt from running through my dreams all night?
Cute Pick Up Lines for Him
Try one of these cute pick-up lines for him as an icebreaker:
- Are you a dictionary? Cause you’re adding meaning to my life.
- Would you grab my arm so I can tell my friends I’ve been touched by an angel?
- I think you’re suffering from a lack of vitamin me.
- I know a girl who is interested in you. If I was not so terribly shy, I’d let you know.
- Are you as gorgeous on the inside as you are on the outside?
- I think my eyes have something wrong with you. I just can’t take my eyes off of you.
- You look a lot like my future boyfriend.
- My lips are like skittles. Wanna taste the rainbow?
- Did it hurt? When you fell out of heaven?
- Your hand looks heavy. Here, let me hold it for you.
Good Pick Up Lines for Boyfriend
Can’t find the right words to say to your boy crush? Here is a list of good pick-up lines that will ease any tension:
- I can’t find my phone number. Can I have yours?
- Are you a magician? Because whenever I look at you, everyone else disappears!
- Even if there wasn’t gravity on earth, I’d still fall for you.
- If I were a cat I’d spend all 9 lives with you.
- Are you Netflix? Because I could watch you for hours.
- You are like the best coffee: tall, dark and strong.
- When I wake up in the morning, you are the first thing that I want to see.
- I’ve been wondering, do your lips taste as good as they look.
- If beauty were time, you’d be eternity.
- If looks could kill, you’d be a weapon of mass destruction.
Best Pick Up Lines to Use on Guys
Here are some flirty lines to use:
- Guess what my dress is made of. Girlfriend material.
- Do you have a map? I’m getting lost in your eyes.
- Can I follow you home? Cause my parents always told me to follow my dreams.
- I was wondering if you had an extra heart. Because mine was just stolen!
- You are the reason even Santa has a naughty list.
- Did the cops arrest you earlier? Because it’d have to be illegal to look that great.
- I might not be the most attractive lady here, but I am the only one speaking with you.
- Can you give me the directions to your heart?
- Your lips are made to be kissed. Let’s not let them be wasted.
- You spend so much time in my mind, I should charge you rent.
Smooth Pick Up Lines to Use on Guys
Check out our smooth pick-up lines:
- Well, here I am. What are your other two wishes?
- Hey, you were great on TV last night.
- The best time is the present. Let’s go on a date.
- Dinner at my house? I can cook.
- Nice to meet you, I’m (your name) and you are… gorgeous!
- Is your name Wi-Fi? Because I’m really feeling a connection.
- Do you have a name, or can I call you mine?
- Is your dad a terrorist? Because you are the bomb.
- My doctor says I’m lacking vitamin U.
- I’ll cook you dinner, if you cook me breakfast.
Clever Pick Up Lines for Guys
Use one of these clever pick-up lines to begin a conversation with someone you don’t know:
- Do you have a pencil? Cause I want to erase your past and write our future.
- Do I know you? ‘Cause you look a lot like my next boyfriend.
- If I could rearrange the alphabet, I’d put ‘I’ and ‘U’ together.
- Is your name Google? Because you have everything I’ve been searching for.
- I’m learning about important dates in history. Wanna be one of them?
- We’re not socks. But I think we’d make a great pair.
- How much does a polar bear weight? Enough to break the ice!
- If I were a transplant surgeon, I’d give you my heart.
- Do you like science because I’ve got my ion you.
- If you were a triangle you’d be acute one.
Best Pick Up Line Images
- Vanessa Van Edwards. (2017, August 7). The 10 Best Pick Up Lines That Actually… Science of People; Science of People. https://www.scienceofpeople.com/pick-up-lines/
- Nicholson, J.S. (2014). The Science of Pick-Up Lines. Psychology Today. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-attraction-doctor/201409/the-science-pick-lines
- The Pick-Up Lines That Work Best, on Men. (2019). Psychology Today. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/social-instincts/201911/the-pick-lines-work-best-men