How many times have you blithely said something like, “I miss her so much it hurts.” Here’s a scientific news flash: Missing someone is a natural, biological thing. Understanding what’s going on with your body can help alleviate your aching for someone.
The science behind missing someone
Romantic love goes through stages. The first is infatuation. Hormones such as testosterone and estrogen – associated with an increased sex drive – are produced big time.
Next up? You have a desire to get to know more about your partner and be with him or her most of the time. So your body produces another set of biochemicals to boost nerve growth factors. Now, you’re addicted to him or her. (1)
You also can blame the “love hormone” oxytocin. Your body produces more oxytocin when you are with someone you love. It even can be a family member or good friend. It is released when you are physically intimate – hugging, kissing, during sex. (2) The body also releases other feel-good chemicals during these intimate moments.
Yes, missing someone badly can really hurt. Badly.
If you’re not sure you can find the right words, take a look at our “I miss you paragraphs” you can use. Some are funny, others romantic, kind of sad. Discover the one that reflects what you feel at this very moment.
And Our Expert Says...
- It’s important to try and step out of the chemical whirlpool your brain is creating when you miss someone and gain clarity if you can. Sometimes we can confuse feelings of missing and longing with true love or with someone being our soul mate. If you’re in the early phases of a relationship, it is simply too early to tell so it’s important to let your rational mind have a seat at the table, rather than letting your heart call all the shots.
- Expressing to the person how much you miss them is a beautiful thing, but it’s also important not to dwell too much on how badly you miss them and also stay busy and focused on your own life because this is the most essential part of being able to have a healthy, happy relationship.
Missing You Quotes
Distance can be cruel. It sometimes separates us from those we love. Send him or her a sincere message. Simple phrases say “you are important to me wherever you are.”
- I look for you even when you're not around.
- Missing you comes in waves. Tonight I’m drowning.
- I wish I were kissing you instead of missing you.
- Even if I spent the whole day with you, I would still miss you the second that you leave.
- It’s 2 am and I miss you just like I did last night at 9 pm and just like I will tomorrow at 6 am when I wake up without you.
- If I could plant a flower for every time I miss you, I could walk through my garden forever.
- I try not to miss you, but in the end, you’re always on my mind.
- I miss waking up next to you and looking into your eyes while the sun shines through the curtains.
- Missing you is my heart’s way of reminding me that I love you.
- I miss you in ways that not even words can understand.
Quotes about Missing Someone
Lots of people are sitting in the same boat with you – missing someone they love. That won’t make it any easier, but you’ll feel better sending along one of these phrases. All I can do every time I miss you is to stare at your pictures and smile.
- Missing you is my hobby, caring for you is my job, making you happy is my duty, and loving you is my life.
- I can’t wait for the day when I don’t have to miss you anymore.
- When I close my eyes I see you; When I open my eyes I miss you.
- My heart never knew loneliness until you went away. I’m missing you.
- Until we meet again, I will be missing you.
- When we miss someone, often, what we really miss is the part of us that with this someone awakens.
- Someone asked me if I missed you. I didn’t answer. I just closed my eyes and walked away and whispered ‘so much’.
- My heart is empty without you and I look forward to the day when it will be full again.
- If you can’t get someone out of your head, maybe they are supposed to be there.
I Miss You so Much Quotes for Her
Really miss her? Tell her. Heartfelt texts can make your love even stronger.
- I miss you in waves and tonight I’m drowning.
- I miss you… I don’t know what else is there to say.
- I don’t know what they are called, the spaces between seconds – but I think of you always in those intervals.
- I want you. I want you here with me right now. I want to talk to you. I want to be with you. I want to hug you. I just want you.
- All I can think of is you. It’s crazy but it’s true.
- I did three things today – miss you, miss you, and miss you.
- I miss the laugh that made me smile and the eyes that said they care.
- Why is it so hard for me to admit how much I miss you right now?
- You may not always be here at my side, but you are always right here in my heart. I miss you.
- A hug for you means I need you. A kiss for you means I love you. A call for you means I’m missing you.
I Miss You Images