How many times have you blithely said something like, “I miss her so much it hurts.” Here’s a scientific news flash: Missing someone is a natural, biological thing. Understanding what’s going on with your body can help alleviate your aching for someone.
The science behind missing someone
Romantic love goes through stages. The first is infatuation. Hormones such as testosterone and estrogen – associated with an increased sex drive – are produced big time.
Next up? You have a desire to get to know more about your partner and be with him or her most of the time. So your body produces another set of biochemicals to boost nerve growth factors. Now, you’re addicted to him or her. (1)
You also can blame the “love hormone” oxytocin. Your body produces more oxytocin when you are with someone you love. It even can be a family member or good friend. It is released when you are physically intimate – hugging, kissing, during sex. (2) The body also releases other feel-good chemicals during these intimate moments.
Yes, missing someone badly can really hurt. Badly.
If you’re not sure you can find the right words, take a look at our “I miss you paragraphs” you can use. Some are funny, others romantic, kind of sad. Discover the one that reflects what you feel at this very moment.
And Our Expert Says…
- It’s important to try and step out of the chemical whirlpool your brain is creating when you miss someone and gain clarity if you can. Sometimes we can confuse feelings of missing and longing with true love or with someone being our soul mate. If you’re in the early phases of a relationship, it is simply too early to tell so it’s important to let your rational mind have a seat at the table, rather than letting your heart call all the shots.
- Expressing to the person how much you miss them is a beautiful thing, but it’s also important not to dwell too much on how badly you miss them and also stay busy and focused on your own life because this is the most essential part of being able to have a healthy, happy relationship.
Missing You Quotes
Distance can be cruel. It sometimes separates us from those we love. Send him or her a sincere message. Simple phrases say “you are important to me wherever you are.”
- I look for you even when you’re not around.
- Missing you comes in waves. Tonight I’m drowning.
- I wish I were kissing you instead of missing you.
- Even if I spent the whole day with you, I would still miss you the second that you leave.
- It’s 2 am and I miss you just like I did last night at 9 pm and just like I will tomorrow at 6 am when I wake up without you.
- If I could plant a flower for every time I miss you, I could walk through my garden forever.
- I try not to miss you, but in the end, you’re always on my mind.
- I miss waking up next to you and looking into your eyes while the sun shines through the curtains.
- Missing you is my heart’s way of reminding me that I love you.
- I miss you in ways that not even words can understand.
Quotes about Missing Someone
Lots of people are sitting in the same boat with you – missing someone they love. That won’t make it any easier, but you’ll feel better sending along one of these phrases. All I can do every time I miss you is to stare at your pictures and smile.
- Missing you is my hobby, caring for you is my job, making you happy is my duty, and loving you is my life.
- I can’t wait for the day when I don’t have to miss you anymore.
- When I close my eyes I see you; When I open my eyes I miss you.
- My heart never knew loneliness until you went away. I’m missing you.
- Until we meet again, I will be missing you.
- When we miss someone, often, what we really miss is the part of us that with this someone awakens.
- Someone asked me if I missed you. I didn’t answer. I just closed my eyes and walked away and whispered ‘so much’.
- My heart is empty without you and I look forward to the day when it will be full again.
- If you can’t get someone out of your head, maybe they are supposed to be there.
I Miss You so Much Quotes for Her
Really miss her? Tell her. Heartfelt texts can make your love even stronger.
- I miss you in waves and tonight I’m drowning.
- I miss you… I don’t know what else is there to say.
- I don’t know what they are called, the spaces between seconds – but I think of you always in those intervals.
- I want you. I want you here with me right now. I want to talk to you. I want to be with you. I want to hug you. I just want you.
- All I can think of is you. It’s crazy but it’s true.
- I did three things today – miss you, miss you, and miss you.
- I miss the laugh that made me smile and the eyes that said they care.
- Why is it so hard for me to admit how much I miss you right now?
- You may not always be here at my side, but you are always right here in my heart. I miss you.
- A hug for you means I need you. A kiss for you means I love you. A call for you means I’m missing you.
Miss You Quotes for Boyfriend
Don’t let your man fool you. He’s more sentimental than you can even imagine. Don’t hesitate to send your boyfriend an awesome text or a quote you can find below.
- I fall in love a little more every time I see you and I can’t wait to see you again. I miss you so much!
- I miss you. I might not always show it, might not always tell people, but on the inside, I miss you like crazy.
- If I had a single flower for every time I think about you, I could walk forever in my garden.
- Missing someone is a part of loving them. If you’re never apart, you’ll never really know how strong your love is.
- I just can’t get you out of my mind. Maybe you are just supposed to be there.
- Of course, I miss you, it’s all I do.
- The only way you’ll realize how broken I am without you… is to put your hand on my heart and feel it limping along in pain. I miss you.
- Thinking of you every; second, minute, hour, day, is medication to my illness of missing you.
- Missing you is like walking around without my heart. I feel this way because my heart is still with you.
- I only miss you when I am awake.
When You Miss Someone Sayings
Don’t be silent when you’re missing someone like crazy. Use one of the sad and beautiful quotes below. These short but meaningful phrases will reflect your love as well as the sadness you feel.
- Sometimes, when one person is missing, the whole world seems depopulated.
- It’s hard when you miss people. But you know if you miss them, that means you’re lucky. It means you had someone special in your life, someone worth missing.
- Nothing makes a room feel emptier than wanting someone in it.
- I long for you in ways I would never have expected and cannot wait to be with you again.
- I stopped talking to you so you would miss me, but in the end, I’m the one missing you more than ever.
- Love is missing someone whenever you’re apart, but somehow feeling warm inside because you’re close in heart.
- You know someone is very special to you when days just don’t seem right without them.
- I dropped a tear in the ocean. The day you find it is the day I will stop missing you.
- Absence from whom we love is worse than death, and frustrates hope severer than despair.
- You never leave my mind. Not even when I have a million things to think about.
I Miss You Quotes for Him from the Heart
Say it from the heart. It’s especially important when he or she is far away. Take a look at these heartfelt quotes to get inspired.
- I wish we could be together right now.
- I miss our conversations. I miss how we used to talk every minute of every day and how i was able to tell you everything that was on my mind
- My heart aches for you.
- The last time I felt alive – I was looking into your eyes. Breathing you air…touching your skin…Saying goodbye… The last time I felt alive… I was dying.
- I miss you deeply, unfathomably, senselessly, terribly.
- Every song I hear reminds me of how much I miss you and want you by my side.
- Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night. I miss you like hell.
- I miss you a little, I guess you could say, a little too much, a little too often and a little more each day.
- For when the cold wind blows, I will close my eyes calmly, knowing I am anchored to you.
- You may be out of sight, but you are never out of my mind.
Why Do I Miss You so Much
Why do we miss him/her so much? Simple answer: True love. Use some of these ideas to tell them how much you miss them.
- I miss you a little too much, a little too often, and a little more each and every day.
- When I close my eyes, I see you. When I open my eyes, I miss you.
- Every piece of me aches for you.
- I miss you so much that I am jealous of the people that get the chance to see you every day.
- I have never missed anyone in my life as much as I miss you.
- But nothing makes a room feel emptier than wanting someone in it.
- I miss you so much that it hurts.
- The world just doesn’t seem the same when you are not beside me.
- I only miss you when I’m breathing.
- When I tell you that I’ll miss you, it doesn’t mean I’ll never get over you. It just means I wish I didn’t have to.
Missing You Messages
Sometimes it is not the right time to be funny. Just check out the sad but touching quotes we found for you.
- I miss you. Not in some cheesy “Let’s hold hands and be together forever kind of way”. I just miss you, plain and simple. I miss your presence in my life. I miss you always being there for me. I miss you best friend.
- I wanna write ‘I miss you’ on a rock and throw at your face so you know how much it hurts to miss you.
- Missing you gets easier every day because even though I am one day further from the last day I saw you, I am also one day closer to the day that we will meet again.
- I don’t care if it’s 5 minutes or a whole night, I just want to see you.
- I miss the fun we used to have together.
- In French, you don’t say “I miss you.” You say “tu me manques” which means, “you are missing from me.” I love that…
- The distance means nothing. You still matter in my life.
- You realize how much you truly miss someone when something happens, good or bad, and the only person you want to tell is the one person who isn’t there.
- The silence isn’t so bad, till I look at my hands and feel sad. Because the spaces between my fingers are right where yours fit perfectly.
- The sunsets here are wonderful, but my heart aches because I can’t share them with you.
I Miss You Images
- The science of missing someone. (2016, August 28). Scientific Evaluation; Scientific Evaluation. https://scientificevaluation.wordpress.com/2016/08/28/the-science-of-missing-someone/
- Broad, A. (2017, March 20). The Science Behind Missing Someone. The Odyssey Online; The Odyssey Online. https://www.theodysseyonline.com/ps-miss-you