The bond. The one between a father and a son goes way beyond genes and the DNA. Dad is his son’s hero. A supporter, friend, and mentor. No other man comes close to his dad. Fatherhood goes far beyond the role of provider. Dad must be engaged and attentive to the needs of his children, especially his son.
“When fathers are actively involved with their children, children do better,” explains Paul Amato, a sociologist at Pennsylvania State University. (1) The “Father Effect” of dad’s presence is generally positive. It’s about the quality time he gives to his children that matters. “...the quality of time is more important than the quantity of time,” says Amato.
It’s a great trend that today’s dads generally want to be more involved. The earlier involvement begins, the better. Dads who live with their kids and are able to interact with them at any time and any day are far more likely to have a positive impact on their children.
And Our Expert Says...
Here’s to glorious Dads! Those ordinary men who are heroes in the eyes of their sons!
- As we know, any man can be a father. It takes a whole lot more to actively, positively be a Dad: a man who commits his time, energy and love to raising a boy to become a good man.
- Pulling the words together to say what you want when you want to honor your father can be tricky, particularly if you’re not used expressing yourself that way. And it’s doubly hard when it’s necessary because that special man has died.
- That’s where collections of father and son quotations like these really help. Read them through. Open up a swipe file and put any that speak to you into it. Use them to trigger your own thoughts and memories; the things you want to write and incorporate one or two of them in that if you wish.
- If it would help: read an example eulogy (funeral speech) from a son to his much loved father.
“Writing letters, phone calls — even if you’re not in physical proximity, knowing your dad cares and wants to be involved to the extent that they can is really important,” Marcy Carlson, a sociologist at the University of Wisconsin says about dads who are not living at home.
A strong bond is crucial for a son to grow up into a man who can deal effectively with life’s daily struggles. Researchers refer to this as the “Power of Dad.” Fathers who are able to establish a good connection with their son early -- perhaps through rough-and-tumble play during childhood -- greatly improved the young man’s problem-solving skills. (2)
A good relationship is paramount to his son who will too-soon grow up to be a man and a father to his own children.
Good Father and Son Quotes
Dad would see himself as a true hero, supporter, and teacher if he could look through his son’s eyes. Here are some father to son sayings you can use:
- Dads are most ordinary men turned by love into heroes, adventurers, story-tellers, and singers of song.
- A father is a man who expects his son to be as good a man as he meant to be.
- No love is greater than that of a father for His son.
- It’s not flesh and blood but the heart which makes us fathers and sons.
- What goes on between a father and a son, which is usually such a private matter, is that they are able to be honest with each other, and be honest with me, as a director. It’s just remarkable.
- I think a father is someone, Who loves unconditionally, There is no perfect formula, to who a father can be.
- A man never stands as tall as when he kneels to help a child.
- Listen, there is no way any true man is going to let children live around him in his home and not discipline and teach, fight and mold them until they know all he knows. His goal is to make them better than he is. Being their friend is a distant second to this. - Victor Devlin
- Some day you will know that a father is much happier in his children’s happiness than in his own. I cannot explain it to you: it is a feeling in your body that spreads gladness through you. –Honore de Balzac
- An almost perfect relationship with his father was the earthly root of all his wisdom. - C.S. Lewis
Dad and Son Quotes
A father and son is not simply a parent and a child. It’s far more. Their kind of bond never can be broken. Here are more father-son quotes:
- It’s a father’s duty to give his sons a fine chance.
- When my father didn’t have my hand, he had my back.
- It was my father who taught me to value myself. He told me that I was uncommonly beautiful and that I was the most precious thing in his life.
- A father’s need to be right. A son’s need to be independent. A father’s acceptance of his son as a man can be as difficult as a son’s acceptance that his father is just a man. A father’s need to be mentor. A son’s need to be thought of as an equal. All these things make it difficult for fathers and sons to really get past their role expectations and really get to know each other and accept each other as they really are.
- You don’t raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they’ll turn out to be heroes, even if it’s just in your own eyes
- What a father means to his son growing up, will become what a son means to his father growing old.
- He adopted a role called being a father so that his child would have something mythical and infinitely important: a protector. - Tom Wolfe
- Not every father gets a chance to start his son off in his own footsteps. - Alan Ladd
- Any man can be a father. It takes someone special to be a dad.
- My dad is my best friend, my father, and my boss. When I do something that is exciting and he likes it, it feels three times as good as you can imagine.
Father and Son Images