Cheer Up Quotes: How to Cheer Someone Up Over Text
Don’t you hate it when a friend or someone in your family is down in the dumps? Depressed. Feeling sad or lonely. Sure you do. Their happiness is important to us. Our first instinct is to find a way to cheer them up.
But, here’s a cautionary tale: There will be times that instead of actually cheering him/her up, we make it worse. Sometimes cheering up just isn’t what he or she wants at that moment in time. Don’t push it. Here are some things to consider if you sense “cheery” isn’t on the agenda:
- “Stop cheering me up.” Try a different approach when you hear something like that. Be subtle and ask for more details. Maybe all that’s necessary is to be a good listener. Studies show some people would rather wallow in misery and prefer “negative” rather than “positive” validation. (1,2)
- Don’t lose focus. Spilling out your own similar experience and heartache is tempting. But that simply diverts the focus and might not be very helpful as no two circumstances are ever exactly the same. Still, sharing your own experience with a friend in turmoil is an option as long as you keep the focus on your friend, advises Karyn Hall, Ph.D., author of “The Emotionally Sensitive Person”. (3)
- Avoid cliches: "You poor thing,” “It’s not your fault,” “Don’t worry about it,” “I know how you feel.” Comments like those could be misinterpreted and turned into vindication, self-loathing, and even feelings of worthlessness. (4)
How to help a friend with depression
Depression is different from sadness, grief, or bereavement. Sadness is felt when someone is in a situation that emotionally upsets them. It heals with time. Depression is a longer-term feeling of sadness and/or a loss of interest in what once was enjoyable. (5) Depression is a major disorder that may hamper a person’s ability to function at work and at home. (6)
Here are some ways you can help a friend or family member deal with depression:
- Stay in touch. Send a text. Make a phone call. Stop by for a visit.
- Understand you don’t really know the depths of how they feel. Your friend could be going through a condition that may be beyond your understanding. Say something like this: “I may not understand what you are going through, but I want to learn more.” (7)
- Do activities together. Regular exercise and eating a healthy diet can help reduce the depression symptoms. (6,7) This is a good way to lighten the mood and be supportive.
Cheer Up Motivational Quotes
The game isn’t over, even when we start to think it might be. Here are some motivational phrases from famous people. Their words are a reminder that life is indeed worth living.
- “Don’t give up when dark times come. The more storms you face in life, the stronger you’ll be. Hold on. Your greater is coming.”
- “The sky is everywhere, it begins at your feet.”
- “Stop feeling sorry for yourself and you will be happy.”
- "I've got nothing to do today but smile."
- "Nobody is superior, nobody is inferior, but nobody is equal either. People are simply unique, incomparable. You are you, I am I."
- “Let us be of good cheer, however, remembering that the misfortunes hardest to bear are those which never come.”
- “Laugh now, cry later.”
- “Cheer up, my dear. After every storm comes the sun. Happiness is waiting for you ahead.”
- “Once they move, they’re gone. Once you move, life starts over again.”
- “It’s better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.”
- “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.”
- “My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn’t go as planned, and that’s okay."
Cheer Up Quotes After Break Up
Oh, that awful feeling when your heart is broken. Time does heal your soul and new love is certainly out there. Here are some encouraging quotes that will help you to recover from the breakup.
- “Can’t lose what you never had, can’t keep what’s not yours, and can’t hold on something that does not want to stay.”
- “Don’t feel sad over someone who gave up on you, feel sorry for them because they gave up on someone who would never give up on them.”
- “Sometimes your heart needs more time to accept what your mind already knows.”
- “If you’ve had a breakup, learn from it. Let the pain make you stronger. There’s someone out there that isn’t like the rest. You just have to keep looking and never give up hope.”
- “A break up is like a broken mirror. It is better to leave it broken than hurt yourself trying to fix it.”
- No relationship is ever a waste of time. If it didn’t bring you what you want, it taught you what you don’t want.
- "The best of healers is good cheer."
- “Turn adversity into triumph.”
- “There will be tough days but one day there will come a time when everything will be alright.”
- "For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Now the sky is overcast, but soon the sun will appear. The problems do not last forever, everything will be fine!”
- “It’s always hard to move on after the break-up with someone who really meant something to you because it’s hard to find a way out of the memories and feelings, but remember if you can’t find your way out just turn back because, in love, you can always exit where you entered.”
Cheer Up Quotes for Her
She wants to think positive and you can help her do it. Here are some quotes that can help.
- “Cheer up sweet beautiful girl! You are going to love again, and it will be magnificent.”
- “Darling, start this day with a wonderful smile on your face and with faith in your heart! Today you can do everything you want.”
- “When I’m with you, all the problems disappear, your laughter heals my heart. Do not be sad, my dear, every day is a new chance to fix everything.”
- “No matter how you feel, get up, dress up, show up, and never give up.”
- “Right now you can cry to your heart’s content. But trust me, someday you will wake and forget about him.”
- Life is not a problem to be solved but a gift to be enjoyed.
- “The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up.”
- “There’s something in you that the world needs.”
- “Be positive. Stay happy and don’t let the negativity of the world get you down.”
- “Don’t deny your feelings. They alone are what guide you through life.”
- “You’re braver than you believe and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”
- “There will always be hope as long as you believe, as long as you trust that tomorrow is there.”
Cheer Up Quotes for Him
What’s the old line? “Real men don’t cry.” The truth is men need support from their close people just like women. Here are some quotes he’ll like.
- “Failures destroy weak people and temper potent people. You are strong, so do not worry and move on.”
- “Life is not a waste as long as there is at least one person in the world who cares for you. So when things go wrong and you feel like giving up – remember you’ve got me!”
- “The biggest enemy of success is “fear of failure” so when fear knocks at your door, send courage to open the door and success will wait for you.”
- “Nobody will ever love you quite the way you want them to. You just have to let them do their best. So cheer up and move on.”
- “Chin up buttercup, everything’s gonna be ok.”
- “No matter what your problems are right now, just think about all the fun we always have.”
- “Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.”
- “It may be tough now, it may be sad now but someday you are going to be alright, soon enough.”
- “Don't worry if you had a bad day, remember there are people who have their ex's name tattooed in their body.”
- "If at first you don't succeed, think how many people you've made happy."
- Every time you feel upset, remember that God does not give us trials that we cannot withstand.
- God will not give you a burden you can’t handle. So, if you find yourself in a mess that’s impossible, take it as a compliment – God thinks you can do it!
Cheer Up Quotes with Images